The Amherst News-Times has evolved in much the same way the community of Amherst has evolved over the years. The history of newspapers in Amherst goes back to the late 1880s when the North Amherst Reporter, a two-page paper with world news headlines, was printed and managed by Harvey Clock and his family.
Fred Avery purchased the paper in 1892 and renamed it the North Amherst Argus. When Avery sold the business back to Clock in 1900 the name reverted back to The North Amherst Reporter. The "North" was dropped from the title when North Amherst became Amherst in 1909.
Around 1914, a second newspaper, the Amherst News, was started by then-Amherst Mayor J. Smith and his business partner, Oscar Dunn. A year later they bought out the Amherst Reporter, merging the papers but retaining the name Amherst News.
The Amherst Times was created in 1917 by then-attorney William Miller and E.A. Little. Two years later, the Amherst Times merged with the Amherst News to become the Amherst News-Times. By 1944, the Amherst News-Times had an office at 242 Church Street and their circulation was around 750.
Today, the Amherst News-Times has a circulation of just under 2,000 households. Each library in Lorain County takes responsibility for preserving their local newspaper. The Amherst Public Library houses available back issues of the Amherst News-Times on microfilm and is in the process of digitizing some of that film through the cooperation of the Ohio Historical Society.
This site provides a link to our Amherst News-Times digitization project and the library hopes to continue to add more content on a continuing basis. The digitized copies of the Amherst News-Times are fully searchable and should provide a view into our community's past that is now possible through the technology of the future.